Committees and Boards
About the Council
The Rural Transportation Council (RTC) is an advisory group for the Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission’s (TJPDC) Rural Transportation Planning (RTP) Program. The RTC, composed of local government officials from the RTP area and transportation agencies, provides review, comment, and recommendations on rural transportation plans, programs, studies and other appropriate documents. The RTC integrates regional land use, economic and environmental considerations into all of its activities in order to forge a stronger link between transportation, land use and the environment.
While the Rural Transportation Advisory Committee (RTAC) focuses on technical elements of rural transportation, the RTC centers on policy implications.
The RTC’s policy guidance includes:
- Review of individual local transportation priorities for regional significance;
- Review of the RTP work program;
- Review, comment, recommend, and assist VDOT, participating political jurisdictions, or the TJPDC on any proposal, alternatives, and work performed on the location and design of facilities in the Rural Long Range Plan (RLRP);
- Recommendations of transportation plans, funding applications, work programs and other rural transportation issues to the TJPD Commission; and,
- Policy assessments of technical advice from the RTAC;
- The RTC meets quarterly, on the first Thursday of the month.