- This event has passed.
Coming Back Home: CVRHP’s 2nd Annual Housing Summit
March 24 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
The CVRHP’s 2nd Annual Regional Housing Summit, Coming Back Home, will present a regionally-focused summit on affordable housing needs.
The Central Virginia Regional Housing Partnership of the Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission is thrilled to announce the 2nd Annual Regional Housing Summit will be hosted on Friday, March 24, 2023 at the Omni Hotel in downtown Charlottesville.
This year’s theme – Coming Back Home – recognizes the important role local and regional housing policies play in the recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and the health and futures of our neighbors, communities, and the region.
Our Keynote Speaker will be Jay Grant, Executive Director of LISC Hampton Roads. Jay brings extensive experience from time at HUD and DHCD, and will share valuable perspective about regional collaboration on affordable housing.
Sessions will focus on progress made, partnerships formed, and policy that can be utilized. Please plan to join us for a day of learning and networking to further our region’s efforts to ensure all our neighbors can thrive in a safe and affordable home.
The Summit’s nine breakout sessions are categorized into Policy, Progress, and Partnership sessions and will highlight a variety of topics with expert speakers from around the region, Commonwealth, and country.
- 8:00 – 9:00 Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00 – 9:15 Welcome/Overview/Sponsor Welcome – Salon AB
- Ned Gallaway, Chair, & Keith Smith, Vice-Chair – CVRHP
- 9:15 – 9:30 Sponsor’s Welcome – Salon AB
- Chris Thompson, Virginia Housing
- 9:30 – 10:00 Networking Break
- 10:00 – 11:00 Breakout Sessions #1
Salon A – Faith-Based Organizations and Affordable Housing
A panel discussion focused on the role of faith-based organizations in the development of affordable housing. Members of cross-organizational development team attempting to develop units at Park Street Christian Church in Charlottesville will share their perspective about the advantages and challenges of these types of projects.
- Colleen Swingle-Titus, Pastor, Park Street Christian Church
- Sunshine Mathon, CEO, Piedmont Housing Alliance
- Bruce Wardell, Founder and Senior Principal, BRW Architects
- Moderator: Greg Powe, Principal, Powe Studio Architects
Salon B – College Towns & Affordable Housing
A panel conversation concerning how universities and college affect a locality’s ability to develop and retain affordable housing stock. Staff from the Town of Blacksburg and William & Mary will discuss how these anchor institutions can partner with localities to ensure affordability for all.
- Matt Hanratty, Assistant to the Town Manager, Town of Blacksburg
- Sarah Stafford, CSX Professor of Economics and Public Policy and Department Chair, College of William & Mary
- Ridge Schuyler, Dean of Community Self-Sufficiency Programs, PVCC – Moderator
Salon C – Economic Development and Housing
A presentation from the Virginia Center for Housing Research at Virginia Tech’s senior staff focusing on how economic development affects and is affected by affordable housing development.
- Andrew McCoy, Director, Virginia Tech’s Virginia Center for Housing Research
- Mel Jones, Associate Director, Research Scientist, Virginia Tech’s Virginia Center for Housing Research
- Sarah Lyon-Hill, Associate Director for Research Development, Virginia Tech’s Virginia Center for Housing Research
- 11:00 – 11:30 Break and Select Lunch
- 11:45 – 12:00 Keynote Introduction
- Christine Jacobs, TJPDC
- 12:00 – 12:30 Keynote Address
- Jay Grant, President, LISC Hampton Roads
- 12:30 – 1:00 Networking Break
- 1:00 – 2:00 Breakout Session #2
Salon A – University of Virginia Affordable Housing Initiative
Members of the UVa Affordable Housing Initiative team will give an update on the project’s progress, details, and answer questions from members from the community.
- Alice Raucher, University Architect
- Colette Sheehy, Senior Vice President for Operations
- Fred Missel, Director of Design & Development
Salon B – Preventing Rural Displacement
A conversation focused on affordable housing development in rural areas; how do localities ensure that long-time residents can continue to live and work in increasingly expensive rural areas?
- Perry Hickman, Virginia State Director, USDA Rural Development
- Jesse Rutherford, Chairman, Board of Supervisors, Nelson County
Salon C – Senior-Friendly Affordable Housing
A presentation from AARP about the promotion of age-friendly neighborhoods, housing, and best practices that promote aging in place and healthy, quality lives for aging members of the community.
- Shannon Guzman, Director, Housing and Livable Communities, AARP Public Policy Institute
- 2:00 – 2:15 Break
- 2:15 – 3:15 Breakout Session #3
Salon A – Missing Middle Housing
A conversation focusing on the role that missing middle housing can play in increasing affordability with perspectives from Charlottesville, Arlington County, and across the Commonwealth.
- Sierra Latham, Senior Research Analyst, Richmond Federal Reserve
- Kellie Brown, Comprehensive Planning Section Supervisor, Arlington County
- Michael Payne, Councilor, City of Charlottesville
- Keith Smith, Vice-Chair, Central Virginia Regional Housing Partnership – Moderator
Salon B – Short-Term Rentals, Long-Term Rentals, and Affordable Housing
A discussion centered on how homestays and vacation rentals affect housing affordability, and how a community can promote tourism and affordability.
- Travis Wilburn – Managing Partner, Stay Charlottesville
- Anjali Kolachalam, Senior Policy Analyst, Up for Growth
- Eric Terry – Virginia Lodging and Travel Association – Moderator
Salon C – Virginia Housing: Creative Construction, Financing, and Development
A survey of creative financing and development options that Virginia Housing has funded, piloted, or initiated across the state. Senior staff from Virginia Housing will discuss how these can be implemented in both rural and urban areas.
- Luke Tate, Strategic Housing Officer, Virginia Housing
- Matthew Bolster, Senior Strategic Housing Officer, Virginia Housing
- 3:30 – 4:30 Regional Housing Partnership Board Meeting – Salon C