The Central Virginia Regional Housing Partnership is pleased to present a 2021 Fall/Winter speaker series. The topics and dates are listed below.
Date: October 21, 2021 from noon to 1:30pm
Description: A roundtable for presentation of recent housing initiatives from each member jurisdiction of the Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission.
- Stacy Pethia, Housing Policy Manager, Albemarle County
- Alex Ikefuna – Director of Neighborhood Services at the City of Charlottesville
- Douglas Miles, Director of Community Development, Fluvanna County
- Jim Frydl, Planning Director, Greene County
Target Audience: Zoning staff, developers, housing professionals, city and county planners, community members.
Date: November 16, 2021 from noon to 1:00pm
Description: A discussion with rural housing policy experts and members of regional rural local government that will focus on the primary challenges to the construction and rehabilitation of housing in rural areas.
- Colleen Fisher, Executive Director, Council for Affordable and Rural Housing
- Jonathan Knopf, Senior Research Associate, HousingForward Virginia
- Jesse Rutherford, Vice Chairman, Nelson County Board of Supervisors
Target Audience: Rural residents, zoning staff, housing professionals, developers, policymakers, contractors
Date: January 20, 2022 from noon to 1:00pm
Description: A discussion of “missing middle” housing – what it is, how it is used in cities, and how it can affect housing affordability.
- Suzanne Moomaw, Chair + Associate Professor, University of Virginia School of Architecture
- Emily Hamilton, Senior Research Fellow & Director of the Urbanity Project, Mercatus Center at George Mason University
Target Audience: Zoning staff, developers, housing professionals, city and county planners, community members, academic staff
Date: February 17, 2022 from noon to 1:00pm
Description: A roundtable of local faith-based organizations currently engaging in housing initiatives followed by a broader discussion of faith-based organizations in the housing sphere.
- Larry Dickenson, President, Virginia United Methodist Housing Development Corporation
- Kim Crater, Co-Chair, Rachel’s Haven Visioning Team, Virginia District, United Methodist Church
- Rev. Robert Lewis, Pastor, Hinton Avenue United Methodist Church
- Colleen Swingle-Titus, Pastor, Park Street Christian Church
Moderated by: Greg Powe, AIA, Principal, Powe Studio Architects
Target Audience: Zoning staff, developers, housing professionals, city and county planners, community members, local members of faith-based organizations