The Central Virginia Regional Housing Partnership’s 2021 spring speaker series topics and dates are listed below. All events were free to the public.
Speaker Series Materials
Thursday March 18, 2021
This informative discussion about the barriers developers experience when trying to build affordable housing shared some reasons developers do not build more affordable housing.
- Andrew Clark, Vice President, Government Affairs, Home Builders Association of Virginia
- Charlie Armstrong, Vice President of Land Development, Southern Development Homes,
- Chris Henry, Stony Point Development Group
Target Audience: Zoning staff, county and city planners, housing professionals, and developers
Thank you to our Sponsor: Stony Point Development Group | Chris Henry
Thursday April 15, 2021
Description: Walk through development financing and explanation of what is feasible to build and maintain in the housing market.
Speaker: William Park, President, Pinnacle Construction & Development
Target Audience: Low-income housing professionals and advocates, county and city planners, and developers
Resources/Materials: Urban Institute website – The Cost of Affordable Housing: Does It Pencil Out? – This financial calculation tool shows the gap between what it costs to build and maintain housing and the rents people can afford to pay.
Thank you to our Sponsor: Virginia National Bank
Date: Thursday May 20, 2021 | 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Description: Illustrates the need for reliable transportation in low-income neighborhoods and provides examples of innovative solutions.
Moderator: Diantha McKeel, Chair of Regional Transit Partnership and Albemarle Board of Supervisors Member representing the Jack Jouett District
Target Audience: Housing and social services professionals, county and city planners, property manages, developers, and public transportation professionals.
- Todd Litman, Executive Director, Victoria Policy Institute
- Stephen Johnson, Planning Manager, Jaunt, Inc.
According to the Center for Neighborhood Technology website, the average household in Region ten spends approximately 50% of their income on combined housing and transportation costs.
Reports about transportation affordability and rural transportation solutions for people who have limited driving ability.
Thank you to our Sponsor: Bramante Homes
Date: Thursday June 17, 2021 | 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Description: Join our panel of experts while they discuss some of the factors that support, or inhibit, efforts to increase equity in our communities and housing developments.
- Stacy Pethia, Housing Policy Manager, County of Albemarle
- Kathryn Howell, Associate professor and co-director of the RVA Eviction Lab, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Hamilton Lombard, Research Specialist for the Demographics Research Group at the University of Virginia’s Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service
- Andrew Mondschein, Associate Professor and Director of the Urban and Environmental Planning Program, University of Virginia School of Architecture
Thank you to our Sponsors: Nelson County and Nelson County Community Development Foundation
The Central Virginia Regional Housing Partnership would like to thank our host the Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission, our sponsors, volunteers, and the audience for the success of these events. If you or your organization are interested in sponsoring future events, please contact Lucinda Shannon, Senior Regional Planner at the Thomas Jefferson Regional Planning District, firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-979-7310 ex. 113.